What are the chances I will be murdered by…
- A foreign terrorist? There’s one (1) chance in 20 million that you will die in an attack by a foreign terrorist this year.
- A refugee committing a terrorist act? One (1) chance in 3.6 billion.
- Of the 3.2 million refugees admitted into the US from 1975 to 2015, twenty (20) committed or attempted terrorist attacks.
- Six people died in these attacks.
- An American “terrorist”? The annual chance of being murdered by a domestic terrorist is 252.9 times greater than by a foreign-born terrorist.
You are more likely to by killed by…
- A vending machine: Chances are roughly one (1) chance in 112 million. It’s true, 2-3 people die each year by knocking over a vending machine while shaking it to get free merchandise.
- A shark attack: Each year 0.6 Americans die by shark—fewer than by vending machine!
- Bungee jumping: Jumping’s even safer. A mere 2 chances in one (1) million.
- Running/jogging: Only one (1) chance in a million you’ll meet your fate this way.
- American Football: One (1) chance in 50,000. Twice the risk of jogging.
- A car crash: Chances are roughly one (1) chance in 6,700.
- Crossing a street (being a pedestrian): Chances are one (1) in 46,901. Look both ways.
BTW: Worldwide folks have one (1) chance in 16,000 of being murdered. But if you live in the USA chances of being murdered in 2017 are increased to one (1) chance in 6,100. If you want to be really safe move to Liechtenstein where there were zero murders in 2016!
You are more likely to be murdered by someone you know
- The Bureau of Justice reports that 80% of murder victims in the U.S. know their killers, and 16% are related to their killers.
- In 2014, 93% of 1,613 females murdered by males knew their killer.
- Three (3) women a day are killed by their domestic partners, in the U.S.
Just so you know…
- Predictably, a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%.
- Women, who make up more than half the U.S. population, commit only 14.7% of the homicides (US National Library of Medicine).
Just thought you should know. ®
Sources: “25 Shocking Things More Likely to Kill You Than a Shark,” pureoldies941.com, 2/15/17. Allissa Schiller, “At Least a Third of All Women Murdered in the US Are Killed by Male Partners,” huffingtonpost.com, 2/6/2017. Chris Nichols, “Odds of Fatal Terror Attack in U.S. by a Refugee? 3.6 Billion to 1,” PolitiFact California, 2/6/17. Julia Wyman, Marty Langley, “More Than 1,600 Women Murdered by Men in One Year, New Study Finds, Violence Policy Center, vpc.org, 2/24/17. Laura Geggel, “The Odds of Dying,” livescience.com, 2/9/2016. “More Likely,” Bureau of Justice Statistics, bjs.gov, 2/22/17. “Odds of Fatal Terror Attack in U.S. By a Refugee? 3.6 Billion to 1,” Politifact.com, 1/27/17. Soraya Chemaly, “50 Facts about Domestic Violence,” huffington post.com, 11/30/12. Stephen J. Dubner, “The Cost of Fearing Strangers,” freakonomics.com, 1/6/09. “The Odds of Being Murdered: Dicing with Death,” economist.com, 2/18/17. “When Men Murder Women,” Violence Policy Center, vpc.org, 9/2016. “Your Chances of Dying and Other Health Risks,” besthealthdegrees.com, 2/5/2917.