Remember this name
“My goal is to cut government in half in twenty-five years, to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub.” Grover G. Norquist
The man who controls Republican tax policy?
Grover Norquist, founder of “Americans for Tax Reform” in 1985, is one of the most successful political strategists of the last 25 years.
- In 1992, he began chairing weekly meetings in his ATR Washington office to coordinate activities and plan conservative strategy.
- The weekly ATR meetings are attended by more than 150 elected officials, political activists, lobbyists, and conservative movement leaders.
- Similar meetings are now held in more than 40 states.
Taking the pledge
- As founder and president of ATR, Norquist asks all candidates for state and federal office to take the controversial “Taxpayer Protection Pledge,”
- This oath requires candidates to pledge in writing to oppose all tax increases and protect tax deductions and credits.
- 87% percent (41/47) of 2012 Republicans Senators have signed the pledge, and
- 98% (235/240) of 2012 Republicans in the House of Representatives have signed the pledge.*
- A total of three Congressional Democrats have signed the pledge:
- Two House Democrats and one Democratic Senator—Ben Nelson of Nebraska.
Those who break the promise face Norquist’s revenge
- A well-financed challenger in the next primary election and publicity announcing the candidate’s “defection to the cause.”
- For example, In Virginia, Norquist distributed 90,000 posters with the pictures of pledge-breakers.
- According to Mr. Norquist: “The only job Republicans have is to cut tax rates, period.”
For a list of those who signed the pledge go to the following site: http://s3.amazonaws.com/atrfiles/files/files/Federal Pledge Signers 112th Congress.pdf
What do people say about Norquist?
- Norquist is “the person who [sic] I regard as the most innovative, creative, courageous and entrepreneurial leader of the anti-tax efforts and of conservative grassroots activism in America.” Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich
- “It’s because of soldiers like Grover that the conservative movement is so vibrant today.” Senator Mitch McConnell
- He’s “a thumb-in-the-eye radical rightist” The Nation
- He’s a “mean-spirited, humorless, dishonest little creep … the leering, drunken uncle everyone else wishes would stay home.” Conservative Columnist Tucker Carlson
Just thought you should know.®
Sources: “Grover Norquist/AARP and the Elections,” Care2.COMINC. www.care2.com. 5/29/11. Drake Bennett, “Grover Norquist The Enforcer,” Bloomberg Businessweek, www.businessweek.com, 5/26/11. “Norquist The Conservative Activist,” SourceWatch, www.sourcewatch.org, 5/28/11. “Who is Grover Norquist?” Americans for Tax Reform, http://www.atr.org, 5/29/11.