When a major loss or disaster occurs, we predictably go through the stages of grief—back and forth, in and out of shock, denial, anger, bargaining, and depression. In the case of the death of a loved one, eventually, when we realize we can do nothing to change the outcome, we can get to acceptance.
BUT in the case of an election where our hopes, our dreams, our values, and our sense of right and wrong are severly challenged or perhaps destroyed, many of us cannot ACCEPT the outcome. We know we must DO SOMETHING.
This is part one of a DO SOMETHING series, designed to ease your pain and MINE.
Give money! No matter how little. It matters!
Give Money to those fighting for rights, justice and compassion. Choose one and give monthly.
- ACLU American Civil Liberties Union (aclu.org): Defends and protects individual rights guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States.
- ADL Anti-Defamation League (adl.org): Opposes and combats hatred in our midst.
- BLM Black Lives Matter (blacklivesmatter.com): Campaigns against violence and injustice toward black people.
- Border Angels (borderangels.org): Advocates for immigration reform and social justice regarding the U.S.-Mexico border.
- Common Cause (commoncause.org): Advocates for positive change in government. Currently urges investigation of Flint water crisis.
- Council on American-Islamic Relations (cair.com): Promotes positive image of Muslims in U.S.
- Everytown for Gun Safety (everytown.org): Fights for common sense reform to reduce gun violence.
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org): Defends civil liberties in the digital world.
- House of Ruth (houseofruth.org): Provides shelter and services to victims of partner violence.
- Human Rights Campaign (hrc.org): Works to achieve equal rights for LGBTQ community.
- NAACP The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (naacp.org): Works to ensure equality of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination.
- National Resources Defense Council (nrdc.org): Protects our natural resources.
- Planned Parenthood (plannedparenthood.org): Provides reproductive health care, sex education, and information to women, men, and young people.
- RAINN Rape Abuse & Incest National Network (rainn.org): Anti-sexual assault organization that works with local rape crisis centers across the U.S.
- SPLC Southern Poverty Law Center (splcenter.org): Fights hate and bigotry and seeks justice for the most vulnerable members of society.
Just thought you should know.®
Sources: Jenna Amatulli, “If You’re Overwhelmed with The Election, Here’s What You Can Do Now,” huffingtonpost.com, 11/10/16. Patti Mulligan, “5 Ways to be a Silent Trump Protester,” huffingtonpost.com, 11/29/16.